Thursday, December 13, 2007

Grandmommy


Well, if there is anyone left checking this blog, it's a MIRACLE!! I know I have been gone for a long time and haven't posted in TEN days!


My last post was Monday, December 3rd. On Tuesday, the 4th, I lost my grandmother. I will miss her so much. She was battling a number of conditions, but none (we thought) immediately life-threatening. Diabetes, thyroid, Grave's disease, some short-term memory loss and a nearly-healed broken ankle.


Grandmommy (as we grandkids called her) was such a special lady and the one who spoiled me the most as a child. When I wanted to run away, I imagined running to her. When the world seemed to be turning on me, I knew she loved me with a love that was fierce and strong and proud and unconditional.


It's hard to lose someone who loves you that much.


Though she had lived in Midland since I was born, just recently she moved to a nursing home in Conroe to be closer to my aunt. I vowed that since I had missed visiting with her enough due to the many miles between us, that I would go once a week and visit her. After a few trips (1 hr 15 minutes each way) that I took on my days off work, I was thinking selfishly, "wow, that's kind of a big commitment, I sure am driving a lot, etc.). I had no idea that my visits were very numbered.


My last visit with her was Saturday, three days before she died. Though previous visits had been difficult (sometimes she knew me and the kids well, sometimes she did not), that visit was the best I had seen her since she had moved to Conroe. She was a die-hard Aggie football fan, and I asked her, "Grandmommy, wasn't it exciting? Those Aggies beat those Longhorns!!" She said, "I know, and they are getting a new coach! Where is he from again?" Just like the Grandmommy that I had always known and loved!


I think God gave us that last good visit. It was a wonderful gift and a memory that I will hold dear forever.


Goodbye, Grandmommy. We sure will miss you but I know we will meet again.


Blog-watching friends out there, thanks for listening. I couldn't just go on with my blog like it hadn't happened. Lighter fare is coming.


Tomorrow's post topic: The Amazing Dryer Balls!



2 comments:

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

Mindi, I am so sorry for your loss, but praise our God who is so loving and compassionate to give you such a blessed gift of a grandmother and that last visit with her.
You are in my prayers.

Kari said...

So sorry for your loss, but so thankful that you had that visit together!
Praying for you!