Monday, November 5, 2007

Vote for a Real Man of Faith







OK, I need to admit something.




I'm somewhat of a political junkie. Especially when Presidential elections are involved.




But I have actually been avoiding all talk of Presidential candidates, not being thrilled with any of the choices that I knew about. I also can't stand the thought of any of the Dem candidates actually being voted in as President . . . it literally makes my stomach turn to think any of them could WIN. And since all signs have been pointing to a Dem win this time around, I have just decided to avoid watching or reading about the race at all. I didn't even watch the debates.




However, for some reason today I felt an urge to find my candidate. Right now!!




I believe that the number one issue for us should be abortion. The Bible speaks clearly and often about our duty to protect the widows and orphans. I believe these orphans include unborn babies, a creation of God without anyone to fight for their rights to take their first tiny breaths. We are commanded to take care of them.




Our Republican forerunner, Rudy Guiliani, is pro-choice. He states (I'm paraphrasing here because I'm too lazy to look up his actual quotes) that although he is against abortion personally, he doesn't think it is right for the government to make the decision. So although I think he might be the candidate most likely to actually win (based on popularity, name recognition, and his middle-of-the-road stance on a lot of issues), I canNOT in good conscience vote for him. I think I might actually NOT vote or vote for a 3rd-party candidate if Guiliani wins the primary.




While Mitt Romney seems likeable enough, he is Mormon. I cannot get around that. Although his values seen strong and align with mine for the most part, his Mormon-ism bothers me.




So I started looking at some of the other candidates . . . including reading comments on the Values Voters website, and lo and behold I found my DREAM candidate! Not only do we agree on everything politically, but he is a strong Christian!! Who, when asked if he would let his personal faith influence his decision-making, he replied, "My faith doesn't influence me . . . it DEFINES me." This former Baptist pastor and youth minister is Mike Huckabee.




I could go on and on, but here is a short video of Mike:








I don't think that link will work, so here is a URL link:






Go and read about Mike. I hope you like what you see.




If you like it, please click on this link which takes you to his website:








If nothing else, PLEASE PLEASE pray about this election and the leaders of this country, and do your research about the candidates yourself before casting your vote.




God Bless America!!




Mindi



4 comments:

Justin Hart said...

I'm glad you found a candidate... but your comment that you "can't get around" the Mormonism thing is troubling...

Can you explain why this should matter? If I run for Senator or Congressman as a Mormon should that matter?

Should Mormons abandon Huckabee because he isn't Mormon?

Mindi said...

Hi Justin!

Wow, I need to remember (as a new blogger) that my blog can be read by ANYONE, even people I don't know. How did you find this post, especially so quickly after I posted it?!?

This will be a very difficult comment for me to respond to, and I am trying to choose my words carefully. I am unapologetic about my beliefs, but the human Mindi doesn't like to offend!

You have made me think . . . "Why am I automatically so dismissive of a Mormon president?"

I guess I need to answer why I am against them (Mormons) politically as well as what I disagree with about their faith.

I know and have known several Mormons. They are good people, all of them, from what I can tell. They have large families (like we do) and are very family-oriented. They talk about Jesus and faith and it has taken me a while to figure out that some of them are Mormons.

However, although Mormons claim Jesus as their Savior, I do not consider them Christians.

And in the explaining of the above sentence, lies the reason why I wouldn't vote for a Mormon Commander-in-Chief.

I am very suspicious of them. It seems that the Church of LDS hides the deepest tenets of their faith. They try to "lure" in Protestant Christians by stating that they believe everything that we do, just that they have some extra books about another prophet who came to America. After a very long time you find some unsettling (in my opinion) beliefs.

It is just this suspicious and mysterious aspect of Mormonism that mkes me very leery of a Mormon president.

I could go on and get more detailed, but when I asked myself the very questions that you posed in your comment, this was my "number one" answer.

Jesus Christ is the ONLY answer to salvation and eternal life and the ONLY way to heaven. He said, "I am the life and the truth and the way."

What else could we need?

Thanks for your comment, Justin! And for making me think about WHY I say things!

Mindi

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

Thank you Mindi for posting this.

I am afraid that I do not keep up with the news very much and I am not abreast of the politically rhelm.

Thank you for informing us!!!

sdfs said...

How did you research candidates, I've been looking for a site that will list them and have easy access to their stances on issues, but I can't find one!!

It's my first election! I'm with Kathryn, I have no idea about anything politcally.