Monday, January 28, 2008

A Tribute to Diet Coke


OK, before I start this . . . I KNOW that too much Diet Coke is bad for me!! That is why I am trying to cut WAYYYY back on my consumption of diet drinks. Yesterday I had my normal one for breakfast but then I didn't have any more ALL DAY!!


I am trying to order tea at restaurants, and just have one out of my fridge a day, and drink water at meals at home.


That being said . . . here are my favorites in the Diet Soda World:


Restaurant Diet Cokes:

1. Wings 'n' More (it's actually Diet Pepsi)

2. McDonald's (with cherry flavoring - and they have sugar-free cherry that doesn't taste like Sonic's cough syrup version)

3. T.G.I. Fridays - though we rarely go there

4. Golden Corral -

5. Chili's


Bad restaurant Diet Coke:

1. Applebees - and to make it worse, they serve it in a GLASS glass, not a plastic glass!!


And a special award for the best tea that I've found - though Heather would call it cold, brown water because it's not sweet . . . Chef Cao's!


OK, now for the grocery shelf diet soda aisle -


I do not like Diet Coke in a can. Call me weird, because I can drink bucketfuls of the fountain variety. At the grocery store I buy whichever products are on sale that week: coke products or pepsi products. My favorite is probably plain Diet Pepsi if I have a choice though.


Pepsi Product:

Diet Pepsi

Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi

Pepsi One is okay - Matt likes it, so I buy it

Diet Pepsi Max - can't stand it

Matt also likes Diet Mountain Dew and Diet Code Red Mountain Dew if I can find them.


Coke Products:

Diet Cherry Coke - yum!

Diet Dr. Pepper - good but I have to be in the mood for it

Plain Diet Coke in a can - yuck - won't drink it unless I'm desperate

Coke Zero - sorry Melodi but I really do NOT like it!!

Diet Vanilla Coke - hard to find these days. I used to love it but then it got too sweet for me and I couldn't drink the stuff at all.


I also like Diet Sprite and Diet Orange Slice for a caffeine-free treat.
Special Note: Diet Coke with Splenda is nasty and Diet Coke Plus with vitamins is even worse!!! I think they are taking them both off the market. I also like my fountain diet cokes with lemons, or even limes, but the canned Diet Cokes with Lime or Lemons are not so great.


I'm a little weird about how I drink my diet carbonated beverages. I like the canned drinks right from the can, cold of course. I stick them in the freezer and set the timer for 20 minutes. Then think of a chore for myself to try and get done in 20 minutes and then the drink is my "reward." They are a little icy that way. You can also quick chill them by submersing them in ice water for five minutes. As you can see, I go to extremes to avoid pouring them over ice.


If they are fountain drinks - I accept that they must go over ice but I like it best when they come out of the fountain cold, not warm, to avoid melting the ice and diluting the flavor. I like them best out of styrofoam or a plastic glass. I have this weird theory that glass makes them go flat faster. Scoff if you must but next time you order a carbonated beverage and it comes in a glass, I'll betcha it's pretty flat in a few minutes.


I also have to have a straw. ESPECIALLY if the drink is in a glass. Otherwise the glass is too cold for my lips.


OK, that's all for my Diet Coke/Diet Soda post. Kathyrn, I hope you're happy that I blogged about this!! Next time I'm out of blog topics, beware, because I may blog about my Sandwich Rules.


Happy Monday everyone!

3 comments:

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

I am glad that you did post it...but I can't believe that you didn't rate Denny's on the good list even though they serve it in a glass instead of plastic!!!

Too fun...gotta hear about the sandwhiches!

Melodi said...

I can deal with your Coke Zero aversion, don't worry. I am so excited that someone else shares my affinity for cokes in PLASTIC glasses WITH a straw! I absolutely prefer them that way. Mark thinks I'm crazy. I DO, however, prefer them in ice, not straight from the can. If I were to go back to regular coke, which I'm not, Sonic and Dairy Queen are two of my favorites. Blue Baker has Coke Zero as a fountain drink! That excites me. For now, I can deal with pouring my Coke Zero over ice in my own plastic cup at home each morning at breakfast. Since I've started the weight loss thing again, I'm only having that one a day. The rest of the day is water and one glass of skim milk. It BETTER make a difference. :)

Melodi

Mindi said...

Kathryn - Sorry, Denny's Diet Coke with Cherry is good but a little less bubbly and more syrupy than I would like - and then the glass just pushes it right off the list.
And no, you really don't want to know about the sandwiches. Those rules are very complex.

Melodi (John Mark!) - I just don't get the Coke Zero thing!! I have heard it tastes better for people who were used to regular Coke than Diet Coke products. Try Sonic Diet Coke!! (even better with cherry!) Their ice and cups make it good! And McD's . . . oh wait, here I go again . . .